All ideas that relate to Azure Information Protection (AIP)

Tracking and Revocation of email messages

Azure Information Protection will be able to apply the same tracking and revoke features on email that today are available for documents.

67 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

emanuele mornini shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is still under review. While we have made progress in addressing some of the challenges of email tracking and revocation (the new OME platform removes several of the technical challenges) the RMS architecture of Mobile mail clients (which requires decryption on behalf of the clients by the Exchange service) still limits the practicality of this feature. We are still working on removing such blockers so we can commit this feature.
    Thank you for your patience.

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • trilly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This request is just over a year old and wondered if any update. I noticed with Office Email Encryption2 (OME) that there is an option to revoke an email but only if you have an AIP license which just for revoking an email is rather an expensive option. Would love to hear if revoking an email is an option without an AIP license.

• AdminMSIP UserVoice Admin (MSIP UserVoice Admin, Microsoft - Azure - Msip) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Shane Leigh Swansborough-Bowman: Thanks for your valuable insight. I must clarify that revocation is not the same as deletion. A revoked email CAN be recovered, as revocation is simply a flag in the policy that indicates that the content won't be licensed to it is originally authorized recipients. A revoked email can still be viewed by its author as well as by superusers such as designated recovery agents.
        Hope this helps.

• Shane Leigh Swansborough-Bowman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any matter of tampering with evidence is grave by its very nature. What some people don't understand is that, even with no cause of action in proceedings, all records are evidence as soon as they are drafted and issued. The Australian Courts have not had a case brought before it where a party contaminated evidence by whatever technical means available. Revoke access etc. For example, if you revoked a simple email but it was subpoenaed to provide some even very basic information to Senate Estimates, that would be a criminal offence due to tampering with Federal Government Official Records (Archives Act 1983). The dude that pressed the button may be in a nice jail until the legal technicalities were taken through the courts.

I wrote a discussion paper and issued it to the Australian Government Solicitor for review, late last year, as I believe this matter needed to be understood before it came to Court.

Evidence Act 1995 (NSW)
        Evidence Act 2008 (Vic)
        Evidence Act 2001 (Tas)
        Evidence Act 2011 (ACT)
        Evidence (National Uniform Legislation) Act 2011 (NT).

• Boonhock Lim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be possible for customer to track and revoke their email. (now only apply to document)

• R. Eberhard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

W.r.t. AIP we consider emails just as "data" similar to Office documents and other documents. It should be possible to revoce and track RMS protected emails.

• Max Visser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

E-Mails can only be revoked when they are not read. I want to be able to revoke access to emails and their attachments, anytime.

Feedback and Knowledge Base